Makes: 36 5cm biscuits
- 1 bunch fresh curly parsley, minced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 60g grated Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 320g wholemeal flour (DO NOT use plain flour)
- 2 tablespoons unprocessed bran flakes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 270ml water
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a small bowl mix the parsley, carrots, cheese and oil together. In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, bran and baking powder. Add the vegetable mixture and stir well.
- Gradually add 240ml water and mix well. Add a little more water if needed to make the dough moist. (I usually need the extra 2 tablespoons of water).
- Knead dough for one minute. Roll out the dough to 1cm thickness. Using a small dog bone cookie cutter, cut out the 36 biscuits.
- Bake in the warmed oven until golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Once the time is over, turn off the oven. Remove the biscuits, turn over on the baking sheet and return to the off oven for a further 30 minutes.
- Leave the biscuits on the cookie tray for 5 minutes, before moving to a cooling rack. (Biscuits will harden as they cool).
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container.
These dog biscuits require the use of wheat flour which some dogs are sensitive to. If so, it’s so easy to modify this recipe, simply substitute one cup of wheat flour for 1-1/4 cup of rye or oat flour or ¾ cup, rice, barley or potato flour.