Baking fevers hit the doghouse and as many of you may know we have been baking up a storm with our new dog deli range.
And it got Lauren from the doghouse thinking that whilst she is researching the latest dog goodies out there that all you lovely dog mums and dads out there may want to try there hand at baking too. And what better to try than Oat and apple pretzels !!
This Recipe inspired by Pretty Fluffy Sweet Potato Pretzel Dog Treats >> http://prettyfluffy.com/diy-tutorials/diy-projects/sweet-potato-pretzel-dog-treats-recipe
2 cups Gluten Free Oat Flour
¾ cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1 free range egg, beaten
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees / 170 for fan . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Beat egg and set aside.
- Combine applesauce, oat flour, and rolled oats in a large bowl. Pour all but 1 tablespoon of the egg over the mixture and set aside the remaining 1 tablespoon of egg.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until a dough forms. The dough should be tacky but not overly sticky. Add a bit more or less flour if necessary.
- Take a two tablespoon sized piece of dough (approximate) and roll into a tube. It should be about 10 inches long and about the width of a pencil.
- Take each tube and make into a U shape, then twist the ends together and fold back to the top. This makes the pretzel shape. Pinch the ends in to make sure they’re secure.
- Place the pretzels onto the baking tray. Brush the top of each pretzel with the remaining egg.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until they’re slightly browned and become crispy. The pretzels should be pretty hard, just like pups love them!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- **Note: Dogs can be allergic to things just like humans. If your dog is allergic to oats, other good options include coconut flour or barley flour. Consult your vet before changing their diet